DellThis essay Dell is available for you on Essays24.com! Search Term Papers, College Essay Examples and Free Essays on Essays24.com - full papers database.
Autor: anton • July 23, 2011 • 721 Words (3 Pages) • 844 Views
ITGM01: APPLIED RESEARCH METHODS
The assignment is designed to assess each one of the course learning outcomes identified on page v of the course guide. It requires a brief literature review to arrive at a research question. The literature review should be used to identify key authors in the field and their main contributions. The emphasis here is on actually doing a literature review. A literature review of around 400 words will provide a sufficient basis for a research question.
Next, you should consider ontological and epistemological assumptions in the light of the research question. If a positivist approach is chosen and is appropriate, then the methodology should normally be deductive, the data quantitative, the research instrument a questionnaire (which is basically generated from the literature), and the data analysis methods are statistical methods including hypothesis testing procedures. If a phenomenological approach is adopted, then the appropriate methodology is inductive, data is mainly qualitative, data collection is based on interviews and/or observations, and you should use qualitative data collection methods. Whichever methodology you choose, the key point is consistency. You may base your assignment on a case study, if appropriate.
There is no requirement for actual data collection. The assignment should be written / presented in the format of a research report. You should be able, on the basis of this research plan, to actually carry out independent research in business and management.
Mergers and acquisitions are important business / management activities. Suppose you wish to carry out an investigation into the causes and consequences of these activities with a view to focus on a particular research question of interest. For this purpose, you are asked to prepare a research report of no more than 3,000 words outlining and justifying fully how you intent to carry out this investigation.
Your report should include:
1. a brief academic literature review, including strategic management and operational management literature to arrive at a research question;
2. explanation and justification of the methodology to be used, including methods of data collection, types of data (both qualitative and/or quantitative) to be used;
3. an explanation of methods of data analysis (both qualitative and/or quantitative);
4. the ethical issues to be observed;
5. the limitations of your research.
This assignment is to be submitted both in hard copy and on a CD-Rom to your Study Centre by Friday 14th September 2007.
The assignment will be assessed on the following criteria:
1. Evidence of background reading and relevance of academic literature to the question posed. Please note: you need to provide a brief literature review on the strategic and operational management issues relating to the topic in order to generate a research question;
2. Appropriate use of an approved referencing system